This Skinny Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Pecan Topping is a vegan, light and healthy twist to traditional sweet potato casserole. All the comfort food, less than half the calories!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I’ve already gotten my Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe ready, my GF Vegan Meatloaf recipe done and waiting, and my Vegan GF Shepherd’s Pie begging to be eaten. It’s now time for a divine vegan and gluten free sweet potato side dish. Two words: mind-blown.
It would be an injustice not to describe how you can make a perfectly healthy, delicious, comforting and low calorie sweet potato casserole. Yeah, I’m talking about this exact delicious Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Pecan Topping friends.
Let’s start with the base. Delicious sweet potato that you’ve cubed, boiled and mashed. We all know that sweet potato in and of itself is a delicious and healthy starch, so my plan was to keep the defining nutritious qualities of this beautiful vegetable and highlight it in this casserole rather than hide it.
Next, I added some natural sweeteners to the mashed sweet potato, some almond milk, some vegan butter and some delicious fall seasonings of cinnamon and all spice.
Next? We scoop it into the casserole dish and set aside. If you made the maple pecan topping while the sweet potato was boiling, just sprinkle it on top right now. If not, let’s get right to it. We have pecans, almond flour, maple syrup and vegan butter coming together in a deliciously sweet crumble topping that will have to picking sweet bits and pieces off of the top of the casserole. The topping is gluten free and vegan, and is so delicious that I need to make it again on another recipe!
Maple Pecan Topping
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3.3 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Maple Pecan Topping
- While sweet potato is boiling or right before, mix all the ingredients for the maple pecan topping together and set aside until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a casserole dish. Set aside. In a 4 QT pot of boiling water, boil the sweet potato for 20 minutes until fork soft.
You can find complete recipes of this VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MAPLE PECAN TOPPING in jessicainthekitchen.com