Healthy eating is very doable with recipes like this one! My husband and I couldn’t get over how good these were and even my kids loved them! This is one of those recipes that I will definitely add to my dinner rotation because these tacos not only taste amazing but they are a breeze to prepare and they are something I feel great about feeding my family.
This is actually the first time I’ve used ground turkey for tacos. I’ve been stubborn for years and finally decided to try them with ground turkey. I was raised on the ground beef tacos, my mom made them on a weekly basis so I never really wanted to try swapping out the beef for turkey because I’ve always loved the other version so much. Surprisingly enough I liked this turkey variation just as much! Yes it has a different, non-beefy flavor profile but with all the seasoning in these you don’t even miss that flavor. These are just light and refreshing, a dinner you don’t feel weighed down with after eating.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb 95% lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (preferably 2 tsp regular chili powder and 1 tsp ancho chili powder)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Iceberg or Romain lettuce leaves, doubled up, for serving
- Shredded Mexican cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, diced red onion, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, light sour cream, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add turkey and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and breaking up turkey occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced. Serve mixture over lettuce leaves with desired toppings.
You can find complete recipes of this Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps in jewelrycoco.com