Delicious turkey meatloaf filled with shredded zucchini and feta cheese. This is the perfect recipe to use up the last of summer’s zucchini.
Move over zucchini bread because this meatloaf recipe is my new favorite way to use up shredded zucchini. It takes all the delicious zucchini that’s popping up in gardens everywhere and pairs it with the ultimate comfort food – MEATLOAF!
I started with a panade made with panko and milk. I used unsweetened coconut milk but you can use any milk you have on hand. This helps to keep the turkey moist. Ground turkey can dry out very easily so it’s important to add moisture to it when making meatloaf, burgers, or meatballs. The zucchini does add a bunch of moisture but I wanted to make sure the end result was a juicy meatloaf recipe.
I used 2 cups of shredded zucchini in this recipe. You could use less if you don’t have that much. The thing to remember with zucchini is you must squeeze the water out before adding it to a recipe. This could be a pain but too much liquid will result in a soupy mess. All I do is put the zucchini in a mesh strainer and squeeze with my hands.
For flavor and moisture I added in a 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. To keep this recipe easy I use jarred sauce. My favorite sauce brands are Delallo and Rao. Both are on the pricier side but they are much better quality than the cheaper brands. For this recipe I used Delallo.
To give it an extra kick of flavor I decided to throw in some tangy feta cheese along with the spices. By the way this was a good call on my part. YUM!
Now time to get dirty. There is no way around it. The best way to mix meatloaf is with your hands. Just get in there and mix until its all combined.
Then place it on a baking sheet lined with foil or not. I always spray my pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce over top of the meatloaf and cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. You can use a meat thermometer for that.
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, water squeezed out
- 1 cup marinara sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the panko and milk until it forms a paste.
- Add in the ground turkey, eggs, seasonings, worcestershire sauce, feta cheese, zucchini, and ½ cup of the marinara.
- Mix until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Place on a baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray, and form into a loaf.
- Spread the last ½ cup of sauce over the top.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, cut into 8 slices, and serve or store in the refrigerator or freezer.
You can find complete recipes of this Turkey Meatloaf with Zucchini and Feta in organizeyourselfskinny.com