Only the BEST carrot cake recipe, in my humble opinion. Check it out! 😉
I was planning to wait and post this recipe closer to Easter. But as you all know, I seem to have zero patience when it comes to sharing recipes I’ve made that I really love. And carrot cake happens to fall in the category of recipes I really, really, really love. So without further ado, I present to you a very humbly-named classic:
The BEST Carrot Cake.
Well, at least it’s the best in my opinion, as I am a total purist when it comes to carrot cakes. That’s right. I’m one of those people who does not want to see any nuts, raisins, pineapple, applesauce, or (heaven forbid) carrot substitutes in my carrot cake. Instead, give me a perfectly spiced, moist cake made with a heaping mount of freshly-grated carrots and lots of homemade cream cheese frosting. And I will be a very happy carrot-cake-eating camper.
(Ok, ok, though — if you happen to adore nuts and/or raisins in your carrot cake, we can still be friends. I’ve included an option in the recipe for how to add them in.)
THE BEST CARROT CAKEINGREDIENTS:
CARROT CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 lb. finely-grated fresh carrots
- (optional: 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 3 (8 oz.) bricks cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar (or more if needed to thicken)
HOW TO MAKE THE CARROT CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. G
- Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Or alternately, you can use two 9-inch round baking pans. (Just be sure that every square inch of the pans greased and coated in flour so that the cake does not stick!)
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, mix together oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves) until combined. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the mixing bowl, and beat on medium-speed until just combined, scraping down the pan at least once to be sure that everything is well mixed. Then fold in the grated carrots by hand, and stir until combined. If you would like to add nuts and/or raisins, stir them in at this time as well.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans. Then bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove pans and let them cool on a wire rack until the cakes reach room temperature.
You can find complete recipes of this THE BEST CARROT CAKE in gimmesomeoven.com