You want to know what my favorite food holiday is? Cinco de Mayo!!! I look forward to it all year long. I love the food of Cinco de Mayo more than any Thanksgiving feast, more than cookies at Christmas, and definitely more than any 4th of July BBQ you can throw at me. So, over the course of the next week I am going to show you a few of my new favorite Mexican inspired dishes that would be a perfect fit for the holiday.
I am starting with quite possibly the best appetizer I have come up with yet. Sweet Potato & Lime Taquitos!! Sure, you could cook up a whole batch and eat them by themselves, or maybe as a side dish to tacos, but I think they are the perfect starter course.
My Mexican food loving clan enjoyed these last weekend along side a big pot of my fast & smokey black beans, and heirloom chile infused rice. The avocado dipping sauce that goes along with these worked great as a stand in for guacamole over our beans and rice and gave the taquitos just the kick that they needed to tame the sweetness of the sweet potato.
SWEET POTATO & LIME TAQUITOS (GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN)
- 1.5 pounds sweet potato (about 1 large), scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter substitute, ghee, or salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, 1 juiced and 1 cut in half
- 12-14 white corn tortillas, warmed (see note)
- Olive oil for pan frying
- Avocado Dipping Sauce (see recipe below)
- Chopped lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped cilantro, hot sauce (I use Cholula), and lime wedges for serving
AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE (GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN)
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pits removed, scooped from their shells
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (for a less spicy version remove the seeds and ribs)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt to taste
SWEET POTATO & LIME TAQUITOS (GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN) :
- Heat a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling drop the potatoes into the water and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain, return the potatoes to the pot and combine with the vegan butter, cinnamon, cumin, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat ¼-inch of oil over medium heat.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, rub the fleshy side of half of a lime over the tortilla then spread 1 heaping tablespoon of mashed sweet potatoes and ½ of a tablespoon of the onion, cilantro, and lime mixture evenly along one side of the tortilla.
- Gently roll the tortilla tightly beginning on the side with the filling. Use a toothpick to secure the taquito so it doesn’t unroll while cooking.
- (Corn tortillas have a tendency to dry out quickly and split, so I rolled 4 taquitos then placed them in the hot pan and rolled 4 more while the others were cooking until they were all finished.)
AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE (GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN) :
- Combine the avocado, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, and water in a blender or food processor, then puree until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste with kosher salt. Chill until ready to use.
You can find complete recipes of this SWEET POTATO & LIME TAQUITOS (GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN) in beardandbonnet.com