Cheesecake is a very emotional issue. Did you know that? Apparently, if you put the word “no-bake” next to “cheesecake,” you better watch your back if you find yourself in a dark alley somewhere. Even in a well-lit kitchen, you may not be safe.
I happen to be very nondiscriminatory when it comes to cheesecake (I’m not afraid). With or without eggs, baked or not baked, crust or crustless, cheesecake deserves to have variations. And advocates. And so, no-bake cheesecake can live in my world.
The one point that I happen to be very particular about, though, is that it has to taste fabulous, baked or not. I’ve been working on a couple no-bake cheesecake variations over the last few months because sometimes, an ultra-light, creamy no-bake cheesecake is the only real option speaking to my soul. Sadly, I’ve learned that not all no-bake cheesecakes are created equal (some far too sweet, others that slop and schmooze all over the plate once sliced, a few that wiggle like jello, and a couple that probably belong in the pudding, not cheesecake, category).
Thankfully after a couple tries at a chocolate version, success was had. Not only is this decadent chocolate no-bake cheesecake deliciously rich and velvety and amazing, but it’s super simple and quick to whip up. The only real time constraint is letting it chill long enough (and even that isn’t a big deal since you can easily make it a few hours before you want to serve it or up to a full day ahead).
- 7 ounces (about 2 cups) chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature (see note above)
- For the crust, combine the chocolate graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter together in a small bowl until the mixture looks sandy and wet. Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides, about an inch, of a 9-inch springform pan or into a 9.5-inch pie plate. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- For the filling, in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer (or in an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment), mix the cream cheese until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat again for a minute or so until combined. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix.
- Add the melted chocolate (make sure it is cool to room temperature!) and whip for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is extremely light and fluffy (this step is key to a creamy, light cheesecake filling).
You can find complete recipes of this No-Bake Creamy Chocolate Cheesecake in melskitchencafe.com