I can’t believe I’m even writing this post, because I used to HATE tofu. I hated the texture, the taste, the look of the stuff – I hated everything about it. Basically, immediately after tofu and I made acquaintances years ago, I made up my mind that we’d never get along.
Then one day, I decided to make Eggplant Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream and much to my dismay, the recipe calls for tofu. It looked and sounded so delicious, I decided I’d be cheating myself out of an epic meal if I passed it up, so I went for it. And I was right, it’s one hell of a dish — tofu and all.
From time to time I’d make the moussaka recipe, but played it safe and didn’t get too involved with my tofu affair — until Ben (my husband) came along. Before I explain why, we have to talk about lasagna.
One night about five years ago, the wind was howling outside and we were cozied up in Ben’s bedroom of his rental house. It was wintertime and the insulation in that place was terrible, so we were on his bed, beneath a stacked layer of blankets, cuddling to keep warm while watching Planet Earth. He went downstairs to get a snack and brought up two pieces of lasagna. This will sound completely crazy, but up until this point I had never tried lasagna. My mum always made hers with meat sauce and since I took to the veggies as a wee one, I hadn’t tried hers. He offered me a bite and I still remember how delicious it was. Such a simple, satisfying discovery I had gone without for so many years!
- 1 block of extra firm organic tofu
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seed
- 1/2 cup water
- Carefully remove tofu from the package and place it on a towel. Wrap the towel around the tofu and evenly (and gently) press down onto it to remove any excess liquid. Be very careful while doing this because you don’t want the tofu to break apart.
- In a large bowl, combine tamari sauce, chili flakes, coriander and water and stir.
- Place tofu on a cutting board and cut it into strips.
You can find complete recipes of this HOW TO MARINATE TOFU LIKE A BOSS in ourbodybook.com