Have you ever wanted to EAT hot chocolate? And I’m not talking about scooping powdered hot cocoa mix into your mouth.. that’s weird.. I hope you’ve never done that.
I’m talking about infusing the flavor of hot chocolate into everything, because why shouldn’t we have our hot chocolate and be able to eat it too? 🙂
And that’s how the hot chocolate cake was born in my kitchen and devoured in one day.
The stand out ingredient in this cake is International Delight’s new Dark Hot Chocolate. It gives this cake a rich hot chocolate flavor, and it helps make the cake extra moist! Whenever we have the chance to try a new product, you know it’s good when it disappears within a day or two!
Not only did we try the hot chocolate in the cake, but it was phenomenal when heated in the microwave and enjoyed like traditional hot chocolate but, here’s the kicker.. it’s also really good just cold straight out of the fridge!!
You can bake with it and you can drink it.. reminds me of the Julia Child quote, “I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food,” haha, very fitting!
Hot Chocolate CakeIngredients:
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 & 1/3 cup International Delight Dark Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup oil
- Chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 & 1/2 containers marshmallow fluff, 7oz each
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mini marshmallows to top the cake
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on the box.
- Using butter, grease the bottom and sides of two 8 inch round cake pans or springform pans and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper. To ensure even baking, place a bake even strip around the pan. You can make your own homemade bake even strip by cutting a towel or shirt to fit the size of your pan. Get the fabric really wet, then squeeze out the dripping water but do not squeeze it too dry. Secure the fabric around the pan with a safety pin.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg yolk, International Delight Hot Chocolate, and oil. Slowly add in the chocolate cake mix and beat using an electric mixer until all of the cake mix is incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pans, using a spatula to evenly spread it. Put an even amount of cake batter in each pan.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, carefully remove the cake from the pan. If using a springform pan, remove the sides and bottom. Allow the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack. Once cool, remove the parchment paper round from the bottom of the cake. If you need to level the top of your cake, do so now using either a cake lever or knife. Make sure the cake is completely cooled, then wrap the cake in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. This cake is good for up to one week like this.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- In a small pot over low heat, heat the heavy cream until boiling.
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Allow the mixture to stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to stir the mixture until smooth.
- Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before adding it to the cake.
You can find complete recipes of this Hot Chocolate Cake in thefirstyearblog.com