This easy homemade salted caramel sauce is perfect for topping on ice cream or almost any dessert!
Have you ever made your own caramel sauce? It’s actually pretty easy to make and beats anything you would buy from the store. I usually have most of the ingredients on hand and it only takes about 15 minutes to make, not including the cooling time.
For this recipe you’ll just need a few simple ingredients – water, sugar, heavy cream, butter, vanilla, and some salt. I love salted caramel, but if you’re not a fan you can easily reduce the amount of salt to your personal preference. I use a full teaspoon which may seem like a lot, but in my opinion it’s the perfect amount for this recipe.
A few things that are important for this recipe. Use a saucepan that’s a little bigger than what you need. Why? Because when you remove it from the heat and add the heavy cream, it will bubble up A LOT. It’s a good idea to do this part slowly and very carefully as well.
Also, I suggest having all of your ingredients ready when you take this off of the heat too. It makes the process much easier and you’ll avoid burning your caramel by accident. The amount of time it takes will vary, so be patient and keep a close eye on it the whole time.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the water and sugar over medium heat. Make sure to use a saucepan that’s a little bigger than what you think you will need. Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stop stirring completely. Let the mixture continue boiling until it turns an amber color, this could take anywhere from 4-12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble up a lot, so make sure to do this very carefully. Mix until everything is well combined.
You can find complete recipes of this HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE in livewellbakeoften.com