Even though I live in a big city (38th largest in the U.S.), it can have kind of small town feel. Now I’ve never actually lived in a small town, so maybe it’s just what I imagine a small town to be like. For example, if I go to Starbucks, Target, Home Depot or Costco, I am almost 100 percent guaranteed to run into someone I know. Especially if I’m looking extra grungy/greasy, and double especially if my boys dressed themselves, have Greek yogurt crust around their mouths, and look like they slept in a headstand position. Maybe I always run into people I know because I have lived here since I was four, but for whatever reason, I get that small town vibe.
One time I sat down to get a pedicure, heard the lady next to me talking, and realized it was my 5th grade teacher. And she totally remembered me!
I also get that small town vibe when I can drive 5 minutes north to the edge of the city and buy a bag of freshly picked sweet corn at a little road side stand from the friendly faced, teenage son of the farmer. Their corn has been especially good this season, and the word is getting around, so their little stand is hopping. I say good for them, you know?
CHILI LIME SWEET CORN SALADIngredients:
- 6 ears of corn, husk and silk removed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Boil the corn for 3 minutes, then remove and allow to cool slightly so that they can be handled.
- Cut kernels off the cob into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, lime juice, chili powder, and chopped cilantro.
You can find complete recipes of this CHILI LIME SWEET CORN SALAD in lovelylittlekitchen.com