One thing you might miss when switching to a plant-based diet is classic chip dip! But, of course, we’ve figured out a way to make this taste better than the real thing, using only real ingredients, plus only good fats, and lots of flavour from adding caramelized onions and shallots.
We were inspired by Better Than Bouillon to make this party appetizer because of what a great flavour base their organic vegetable bouillon creates for so many recipe ideas beyond soups and sauces. We wanted to think beyond typical uses for bouillon, since most of us have a product like this in the fridge or cupboard at all times anyway!
What we love even more is that the vegetarian Better Than Bouillon products are all vegan-certified! Follow us on Instagram @hotforfood and check out our latest post for a chance to win a $100 Sobey’s gift card and Better Than Bouillon products!
If giveaways aren’t your thing, use the code ‘hotforfood15’ to recieve 15% off of your online purchase of Better Than Bouillon here.
- 3 yellow onions, halved & thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 3/4 C raw cashews (soaked for 20 minutes in hot water)
- 2 C silken tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon organic vegetable base
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Allow raw cashews to soak in boiling hot water for 20 minutes. This will soften them, and allow them to blend easily. You can also leave them soaking in water overnight in the fridge.
- In a large pan over medium heat sauté onions with 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 14-16 minutes. Then add in shallots, thyme, and another tablespoon of olive oil if the pan seems dry. Continue to caramelize, stirring occasionally, for another 14-16 minutes until the mixture is a deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, rinse the cashews from the soaking water and drain well. Then add them to a high-powered blender along with tofu, lemon juice, Better Than Bouillon base, garlic powder, and ground pepper. Blend on high until very smooth.
You can find complete recipes of this Caramelized Onion Dip in hotforfoodblog.com