Nourishing, and delicious with a bit of a kick, Black Bean Walnut Burgers with Saucy Sweet Onions are freezer friendly and easy to pull together. Vegan + GF
One of my favorite foods in the world is sandwiches. Burgers, cold sandwiches, toasts, open-faced, or pressed, I’m always in the mood. Especially during picnic and alfresco season. My almost famous Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich and Italian Pressed Sandwich are on the regular during Summer around here.
The bread? Rustic sourdough or whole grain is my favorite, but I’m just as happy with Naan or a big ol’ brioche sesame seed bun.
The contents? Veggie-packed, hearty and full of flavor is how I roll. And there’s got to be variety in texture and flavors. A little creamy with a bit of crunch is always a must.
Veggie burgers are the ultimate convenience food.
Not the kind you can buy in the store. But the ones you make at home, prepared and frozen ahead of when you need. Like this past weekend, for example. Rob and I worked in the yard and flower gardens for a full day, getting our ass kicked by weeds. We were exhausted.
Needless to say, I was happy to have these Black Bean Walnut Burgers with Saucy Sweet Onions on the ready.
Basically after toasting the walnuts and a quick onion sauté, the ingredients are tossed in a processor, then mixed with some of the whole ingredients and mashed together, shaped, chilled, then cooked in a skillet.
Whip up those boozy Saucy Sweet Onions while the burgers are resting to have on the ready.
Throw those mouthwatering burgers in the skillet, cook for four minutes on each side, then Boom!
For the Patties:
- 1/2 C Walnuts shelled, 60g
- 1/2 C Rolled Oats not quick cook or instant, 50g
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Chipotle Pepper***
- 1 tsp Adobo Sauce 2 for extra spicy
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Vegan Worchstershire Sauce use Tamari for Gluten Free
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 1/3 C Black Beans rinsed (2 cans), divided, 340g
- 1/2 C Cooked Short Grain Brown Rice divided (be sure to use short grain, it makes a difference – and not instant), 100g
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil + more for cooking the patties
- 1 C Yellow Onion diced, 100g
For the Saucy Sweet Onions:
- 3 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 3 Large Sweet Onions like Walla Walla or Vidalia sliced into thin 1/2 moons, 742g
- 1/3 C Bourbon* 75g
- 1 1/2 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
Optional, but suggested Toppings:
- Mashed Avocado
- Pickled Sweet & Spicy Peppers
- Just Mayo
For the Patties:
- In a nonstick pan, dry-toast the walnuts on medium heat, tossing and flipping them for about four minutes. Remove from heat and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the oats, tomato paste, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, sea and garlic salt, mustard, worchestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Process until pasty. A few chunks are fine. Add 1/2 the black beans, and 1/2 the rice. Pulse until the mixture comes together, scraping down as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium. When shimmering, add the diced onion and cook on medium for about three minutes. A bit of charring is okay. Remove from heat and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 of the black beans and rice to the mixing bowl. Into the large mixing bowl, add the processed bean/spice mixture. Using your hands, mix throughly squeezing and pushing the mixture together.
- Use a 1/2 cup (130g) scoop (this yields 5 patties) or 1/3 cup (82g) scoop (this yields 8 patties) to portion the patties. Roll them into a ball. Using the back of a metal measuring cup, press each ball into a patty using gentle pressure about 1/4″- 1/2″ (.6 – 1.2 cm) thick.
You can find complete recipes of this BLACK BEAN WALNUT BURGERS WITH SAUCY SWEET ONIONS in vanillaandbean.com